About GOOGLE XML SITEMAP FOR MAGENTO 2.
Dynamically generate XML sitemaps, help search engines faster crawl and index your store.
Google has specific rules for sitemap generation. It is useful to have your XML sitemaps built automatically with a help of Google XML Sitemap for Magento 2 extension in order to meet all search engines requirements. Faster indexing of new pages shortens the time your new products to appear in Google.
This extension helps you gain a granularly control over your Magento 2 sitemap by allowing you to control visibility in sitemap for each Product , Category and CMS page. Also it allows you to add into the sitemap custom URLs that are not included with default magento sitemap with full control over attributes like store-view, priority, change frequency and update date.
By using this extension you can dynamically exclude from sitemap Products, Categories and Pages that you do not want to be indexed by search engines but are still required in your store.Include any links in your sitemaps:
Google XML Sitemap for Magento 2 allows to include/exclude links from various locations:
- Category pages;
- Product pages;
- CMS pages;
- Custom URLs.
You can configure detailed settings like storeview, priority, update date and change frequency. You can set the values specifically for each group of links: Products, Categories, CMS pages, and individually for each Custom URL. The more appropriate settings you have, the more reliability and trust to your site from Google.
Features of the Extension.
- Faster indexation of your store content - better SEO score
- Configure frequency updates - for each type of page CMS, Product, Category, Custom URL
- Individual Product control - control what Products you want to be included/excluded from sitemap
- Individual Category control - control what Categories you want to be included/excluded from sitemap
- Individual CMS Pages control - control what CMS Pages you want to be included/excluded from sitemap
- Add unlimited custom URLs - full control over each URL’s priority, store-view, change frequency and update date.
- Dynamic generated sitemap - once configured, always up to date.
- Increase conversions and reduce bounce rate - allow search engines to index the appropriate elements of your store in order to reduce bounce rate and improve conversions.
- Reduce return rate - help buyers find the best product for them using specific relevant information already indexed in search engines using your advanced sitemap
- Easy to use - no coding needed
- Best practice coding - extending the functionality of the default Magento 2 XML sitemap
How to Install the Extension:
Before installing Google XML Sitemap Extension on a Magento 2 store please check the extension compatibility. This extension is currently compatible with the following Magento versions 2.0.X. - 2.2.0. It is recommended to install the extension first on a testing server before you install it on a live (production) server.
Copy the extension files to below paths of your magento 2 instance. If ‘app/code/WeltPixel’ folder is missing, please create it manually:
Access the root of your magento 2 project from command line and run the following commands:
php bin/magento module:enable WeltPixel_Backend --clear-static-content
php bin/magento module:enable WeltPixel_Sitemap --clear-static-content
php bin/magento setup:upgrade
Flush any cache that you might still have enabled on your server or in Magento.
Woohoo, the extension is installed!
How to Configure.
Step 1: Create your sitemap
Go to Marketing -> SEO & Search -> Site Map and add your sitemap by clicking on "Add Sitemap" button
- Select the name for your sitemap, example: sitemap.xml
- Select the path for your sitemap, example: "/sitemap/" or "/" for base path (path must be writeable)
Step 2: Configure your sitemap
Go to Stores -> Configuration -> Catalog -> XML Sitemap and configure default settings for your sitemap.
- a. Select Frequency and Priority for each type of page in your store: Category Pages, Product Pages, CMS Pages.
How frequently the page is likely to change. This value provides general information to search engines and may not correlate exactly to how often they crawl the page. Valid values are:
- always / hourly / daily / weekly / monthly / yearly / never
The value "always" should be used to describe documents that change each time they are accessed. The value "never" should be used to describe archived URLs.
Please note that the value of this tag is considered a hint and not a command. Even though search engine crawlers may consider this information when making decisions, they may crawl pages marked "hourly" less frequently than that, and they may crawl pages marked "yearly" more frequently than that. Crawlers may periodically crawl pages marked "never" so that they can handle unexpected changes to those pages.Priority
The priority of the URL relative to other URLs on your site. Valid values range from 0.0 to 1.0. This value does not affect how your pages are compared to pages on other sites—it only lets the search engines know which pages you deem most important for the crawlers. The default priority of a page is 0.5.
Please note that the priority you assign to a page is not likely to influence the position of your URLs in a search engine's result pages.
Search engines may use this information when selecting between URLs on the same site, so you can use this tag to increase the likelihood that your most important pages are present in a search index.
Also, please note that assigning a high priority to all of the URLs on your site is not likely to help you. Since the priority is relative, it is only used to select between URLs on your site.
b. Configuring sitemap generation settings
- Enable - [ Yes / No ] - this option enable sitemap generation. Make sure cronjobs are setup on your server in order for this automated task to be triggered.
- Start time - set the time when sitemap generation should start
- Frequency - set how often you want your sitemap to be updated
- Error email recepient - configure an email where you should receive potential error reports
- Error email sender - configure store default sender of the email
- Error email template - configure store default template for the email
- Maximum No of URLs per file - set the maximum number of URLs in sitemap.
- Maximum file size - set sitemap file size in bytes
- Enable submission to Robots.txt - [ Yes / No ] - if enabled sitemap will be included in robots.txt file of your store, facilitating search engines to faster discover it.
Step 3: Customize your sitemap and make it your own using GOOGLE XML SITEMAP for Magento 2
a. Exclude from sitemap particular CMS Pages you do not want indexed in search engines
Go to Content -> Pages -> Edit Page -> WeltPixel Options -> Exclude from Sitemap -> Yes
This option is useful when you want to exclude certain CMS Pages from sitemap. Ex: ‘404 Not Found Page’ makes no sense to be indexed by google, you do not want your customers there.
- Go to Content -> Pages -> Edit Page -> WeltPixel Options -> Exclude from Sitemap -> Yes
b. Exclude from sitemap particular Product Pages you do not want indexed in search engines
Go to Products -> Catalog -> Edit Product -> WeltPixel Options -> Exclude from Sitemap -> Yes
This option is useful when you want to exclude certain Product Pages from sitemap. Ex: maybe you have a lookbook where your products can be purchased using a quick view functionality and you don’t want to sell the products individually on separate product pages, in this case you can exclude that particular product pages from sitemap indexation.
- Go to Products -> Catalog -> Edit Product -> WeltPixel Options -> Exclude from Sitemap -> Yes
c. Exclude from sitemap particular Category Pages you do not want indexed in search engines
Go to Products -> Categories -> Select Category -> WeltPixel Options -> Exclude from Sitemap -> Yes
This option is useful when you want to exclude certain Category Pages from sitemap. Ex: You may want to include in sitemap only level 2 categories and exclude level 1 categories in order for clients to land on a more segmented category.
- Go to Products -> Categories -> Select Category -> WeltPixel Options -> Exclude from Sitemap -> Yes
d. Add custom URL to sitemap
By default magneto doesn’t add to sitemap custom url that may be still relevant to your business, for example a html page presenting your product. Ex: Weltpixel Cleo Theme is presenation of one of our products but is not included in default Magento sitemap.
By using Google XML custom sitemap URL functionality we’ll be able to add also this link to our dynamically generated sitemap.
Go to WeltPixel -> Sitemap -> Add New Url
- URL - Insert link without base url, ex: /cleo and the link in your sitemap will be www.yourbaseurl.com/cleo
- Updated at - set the time and date when this page was last updated
- Store View - Select in what store view to insert this custom URL in sitemap
- Change Frequency - How frequently the page is likely to change. This value provides general information to search engines
- Priority - The priority of the URL relative to other URLs on your site. Valid values range from 0.0 to 1.0
- Woohoo, the sitemap is configured!
What’s new in version 1.5.3 - September 20, 2017
- Table prefix error fix.
- Menu and ACL restructuring.
- Magento Enterprise column name change fix.
- Compatibility with Magento 2.2 function type compilation fix.
Fix for product, category default exclude sitemap, update try catch.
What’s new in version 1.0.3 - May 16, 2017
Added translations files under /i18n/en_US.csv.
What’s new in v.1.0.2 - March 11, 2017
- Fixed table prefix error
What’s new in v.1.0.0 - 01/19/2017
- Initial release